As my project has evolved I have changed my main focus multiple times, bouncing around different ideas and trying to find a topic that would hit the spot and allow ideas to flow freely. At this point I have landed on the renovation and re-invigoration of Brutalist structures in Berlin. I am exploring the structures themselves, their place in the life of Berlin and the way in which people’s perception of them has changed.
The primary point I am going to explore the ‘Turmkunst’ (Tower Art Project) that began in 2010. Where a number of old buildings, including Brutalist structures were left to the whims of a number of notable Graffiti Artists, to turn into their own canvases and do with as they wished.
The term ‘Brutalist Playground’ which I am using as my title describes both the free reign architects had in rebuilding Berlin in the time immediately after WWII, as well as the open sandbox these buildings then came to represent for contemporary artists.
Here is an example of the Tower Art Project’s impact that I have looked at closely. The ‘Bierpinsel’ (Beer Brush’ was originally part of a railway station finished in 1976. It has recently been repainted (right) and is being converted into a restaurant.
So here is my finished piece. It is by no means what I will present at my final presentation, but I am pleased have done it and to have brushed up on my Adobe Aftereffects skills as basic as they may be.
The idea behind this was to emulate the Graffiti Artists impact on the bare concrete of the Brutalist buildings of Berlin. The human experience and interaction with these structures is what make them valuable to society, so I felt that was an important angle to focus upon.
The concrete was a hassle to create, as my type was originally going to stand proud on a plain background. Each word of my title was created on the same image of concrete, which meant placing on line above the other would leave an obvious seam in the center. I therefore had to work out how to duplicate the image and weld them together in a way that removed any visible seam.
This was an obscure but quite simple task, I created a continuous repeating pattern with the image of the concrete, before molding all the seams so that they blended perfectly into one smooth surface.
I then placed the text over this background and traced a path over the lettering, making sure to completely cover every letter. I then set that path to steadily peel back and reveal the lettering as the video progressed, so as to give the impression of it being painted on. I then found a YouTube video with the spray can sound effect (if you missed this, please re-watch the video with sound, it really makes it less mediocre). This was what I was most pleased with. The audio was pretty closely if not perfectly synchronized the moving of the imagery on screen.
It really is amazing how much research and development it takes to produce even something as simple as a basic 12 second animation. It took several hours, if you include the time I spent watching YouTube tutorials to understand each step of the work. I am no expert at using After Effects. I feel that although this piece is not up to standard for my final presentation, it has set me up well by giving me a base on which to improve.