With my main theme being the lifespan of a candle. I wanted to expound on this throughout my article. One idea I had was the transition of light to dark. The first double page spread would contain swathes of white space. The imagery in the following spreads would gradually darken in a nod to the message of the article. I decided that as well as these main images, I should add some small detailing to make the page more appealing to the eye. I was very careful with this idea however, as I have a tendency to overfill pages to the point of crowding them.
Here are some examples of further experimentation with wax on paper. I was very pleased with the center left image, which simply has the page flipped showing the wax silhouetted on the reverse of the paper. My previous attempt had involved smearing the wax to draw images. This was effective but the results weren’t right for the article in my opinion. They looked a little childish and fun in a kind of Quentin Blake way.
This time I decided to let the wax fall naturally. I propped an A3 sketchpad against the window and dripped wax down it. The images aren’t excellent as I was again using my camera phone. But I had no intention of using the vanilla shots. They were high definition enough to be edited effectively.
Here are two of my finished pieces, post editing. I removed the background color and increased the brightness and contrast on the wax. I then removed the color information and implanted cyan onto the monochrome image. This worked even batter than I could have hoped. As they were they were too cluttered however. And I was making the effort to avoid this.
Here are some of the close crops I made to apply to the pages. Wax has a certain density that means it pools at a certain size. If I was to use the full page shots, it wouldn’t have looked right. These images were scaled to fit my page properly.
Here’s the most recent version of my first double page spread. The inclusion of the wax drip doesn’t crowd the page at all, but evens out the point of focus somewhat. The heading should of course be the main focus on the page. But prior to adding the drip it seemed a little lopsided. I’m very happy with the results.