I have previously written about my work for Craft and Kin and the brief my group was given. Unfortunately, when we originally undertook the task we didn’t operate very effectively as a team and our work was very sub par, in my opinion.
Since then, I have decided to entirely overhaul this and several other projects I have done through out the year (more to come on those other projects). When I last worked on this brief, I wound up with a confusing mess of semi decent ideas that hadn’t been refined into final idea. I decided to take my favorite elements from those ideas and produce the long overdue final product.
A quick summary of the brief: We were asked to create a brand identity for a Bristol based barber shop. They wanted something cool and modern, but nothing too cliche. They wanted emphasis on the personalised service they offered to clients as that was one of their strongest selling points. We also had to advertise the particular services they offered in terms of hair and facial treatments.
In our original project we had decided to research Bristol and came up with two interesting points of focus:
Here was our final product. I think in retrospect, we should’ve balanced our time more in terms of focusing on aesthetics more than cleverly tying the logo to something relevant. I think the balloon didn’t really work in the end. Our idea was to combine the balloon shape with the colours of a barbers shop pole. However a balloon with stripes of blue, red and white across its body look irritatingly like a blob of toothpaste.
A cut above
Here you can see my new logo. I think this was possibly in reaction to the poor layout and definition of the previous iteration of the logo that led me to go all the way the other way. It could also be that in other projects since I have some promising results with silhouettes. I first quickly crated the shape and then added a thick, bold typeface that would stand out (left). I also made sure to pick a sans serif typeface to class it up a little and give it more unique charm.
In the second image (right) I inverted the entire image and added shading that I realised looked like a shiny emboss effect. While unintended, I felt it bestowed a more premium feel. Having just visited Zenith media on a field trip and seen the intricate detailing that can be applied to paper products, I was tempted to use a few in case I had these printed for real.
Despite the modern, minimalist design I was aiming for, I decided there was a lack of flare in my original designs, and so I experimented with gold and silver effects as well as using embossing effects on my type and my image. As well as this I decided black and white were too harsh and background colours an I reduced them to dark grey and very pale grey. On the bottom version I also added a texture to the background to give it a thick card effect, further differentiating it from the foreground imagery.
Happy with the logo, I next turned my mind towards creating ephemera and other items for the branding to sit within.
Here is my first item. The business card, front and back. I decided to go with my latest logo design and continue the minimalist theme on the rear. I was happy to have slightly more crammed in as the rear of the card is where the vast majority of the information should sit. I continued the gold and silver embossing effect throughout and decided to use icons for everything to give a more visual idea of the experience.
While I was very happy with this design, I could help feel that too not use the inverted design would be a waste. I decided I would find a place for it.
We originally planned to add loyalty cards, but never got that idea off the ground particularly. I decided, therefore that I would kill two birds with one stone. I need the cards and I wanted to include my white design.
Here is the final product and a rendering I made. I am very pleased with the outcome as the logo on the front is unmistakable. But cannot be mistaken as the business card. I am also proud of the maintenance of the gold and silver colour scheme with one red circle breaking the rule and drawing the eye to the selling point of the card. The gold ink stamps are also a unique touch that would be hard to forge.
Here are my shop signs. They are simply the same as my original logo except on the shop banner the type has been moved to fit the provided space.
While the original project was simply a test with no effect on my year’s performance. It had been niggling at me that I had left this project done to such a poor standard. I felt very confident at the time that I would produce something far better and I feel like I have fixed that. Brief’s whether they are real commercial projects, or simply a one day experiment like this one, are very useful as they set specific boundaries to work within and objective goals to reach.
This now feels like a piece that, with a little bit of refinement, in terms of dpi of images and final consultation, that I could imagine waling past on the high street and being offered one of the business cards.