I decided that I would attempt to create a logo in keeping with my theme. The first step for this would be to generate a new typeface or choose an existing one. I really struggled to find anything that satisfied me in existing typefaces.
I decided to create some sketches to give myself an idea of what might look good. I wanted to take some of the most striking lines and features of famous Brutalist Structures and incorporate them into the type in rider to create a uniformity in my work.
I made some very simple sketches in the midst of some of my research and feedback notes. The difficulty for me has been sticking to a solid theme within Brutalist Architecture. I believe I may have finally come to a decision which I will explore in my next blog post.
In the above image, I had tried to visualise a typeface made up of segmented concrete blocks, a key feature of many Brutalist designs.
Here is an example. The Yale Art and Architecture building, by Paul Rudolph.
As much as the basis for the idea seemed sound. I thought the result would be quite simplistic and wouldn’t do justice to the complexity and curves that Brutalism has been repsonisibilities for.
Here was my second attempt. This was a far greater success in my opinion. I’ve taken inspiration from numerous works of Brutlaism, incorporating thick, angular structures with symetrical cutouts and small windows for some of the gaps in the lettering.
My intention with this typeface was to make it follow the lines of the structures it emulated as closely as possible while still remaining legible. I think this struck a close balance. Some letters and stand alone characters are slightly tricky. But grouped as words are all perfectly decernable.
The only snag I ran into on this design was it bore some similarity to that of a classmate who had already digitised his typeface. I will continue to hone this regardless. But I’d feel like I was borrowing form his work if I took it further in this project.
This image has quite a clue as to the direction I hope to take my project in from this point onwards. But what I wanted to highlight was the revised typeface. I have further simplified the design and made it more solid.
My aim with this new design was to take my style as far from my classmates work as possible in order to distinguish it. I’ve still used a combination of curves and segmented sections with angular cutouts. But the text is far more solid and meaty.
Once digitised I will be able to colour the text to make it appear more three-dimensional than it does at present by giving the effect of light falling upon it. I will update my blog once I have further refined the design. But at this point I feel I’ve made significant progress as far as type is concerned.
Here was my initial sketch. The idea to be to explore Brutalism in an open minded manner. It is a very contentious design philosophy and I feel that knowing the story and purpose behind the designs might broaden people’s perspective and help them change their immediate perception of Brutalist Architecture as ugly and oppressive concrete masses.