100 Marques – Conclusions

We recently presented our finished 100 marques project. I was surprised by the immense learning curve it was to increase the quantity of work produced so drastically, but this was not a bad thing. Theo’s rationale was that if we had one hundred pieces we would be able to explore far more options than if we had five and the far more variation could be achieved and evaluated. I could certainly see the benefits this brought, I was very impressed by the work produced by others in the course, and I will create a separate post highlighting my favourites.

We were all provided with six stickers each; three blue and three orange. The blue were to denote the marques we found to have immediate professional appeal. Well executed ideas with promise. The orange were to denote the pieces we found compelling and instantly communicative. I was surprised to find a few stickers on my work.

In the process of creating my marques I started rather off target. My initial fourty designs were simply variations of my initials ‘D R’, my design initial ‘R D’ (Rothwell Design) and simply my name. In our first tutorial two days into the project, David explained the error of my ways. I was thinking in to much of a linear, basic way and not exploring my style as a designer.

This was actually a double sided page so the second image went unseen, sadly. But given the slightly rushed nature of the pieces, I’m very happy that some of the ideas themselves were well received. Regardless of the fact that they are initials, I think some of them contain the basis for a good design.

All of the designs up to this point are pre-tutorial and so they are rather constrained in their design. I was largely caught up trying to hybridise the letter forms, which can only be done so much before I started running out of ideas. Again, the second image is the reverse of the first and s o it went unseen, although it wasn’t anything special.

After the tutorial I began working from a more abstract perspective. Try out shapes and weights. Addressing variations in complexity. Knowing I couldn’t make things to complex or they wouldn’t be vivid enough. The rule of thumb provided by Dave was that if they were shrunk to the size of postage stamp and were still graphically strong, then they were appropriate.

None of these marques were ones I intended on taking further into the design process, at least without significant alterations. But again, a couple received stickers, which was a pleasant surprise.

Here re my final two pages of designs. Again, I didn’t want to get caught up making endless variations of the same thing as I did at the beginning of the project. Very few of these designs are even vaguely similar, which for me was one of the main objectives. I’m very happy to see that on these two pages, all of my personal favorite marques received some attention.

My thoughts

I really found this task enlightening. to me, design has always been about quality over quantity, but quantity can throw up quality that wouldn’t otherwise have been achieved. I think the only downside of creating so many logos, is your ability to discern what works and what doesn’t begins to wain. So the addition of fresh perspectives really helped me. I’d never have thought of  the marques that received stickers as my best designs.

Advertisements

Author: David Rothwell

I am a Graphic Communication student at Cardiff Metropolitan School of Art and Design If you like any of my work, have feedback (good or bad) or would like to get in touch, please do

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s