Changing Faces – Process

Although I am yet to put the final touches on my project, I am already aware of what needs to be done to make it as good as I can. This is due to my method of refinement I have used for the past couple of weeks. It’s pretty simple and not exactly a new idea.

After creating a solid basis. Laying out my text on the six page spread, devising a column and margin system I was comfortable with an just generally laying down the ground rules. I began Devising my theme. That was a process of sitting around and thinking about the meat of my subject.

I did quite a bit of research online on websites such as Pinterest and Behance. Not only for layout of my text. But imagery and general applicability of various themes. I have accounts on both websites with albums of collections of my favorite pieces. They should be linked to this webpage.

Here is just an example of some of the changes I made and the feedback that encouraged me:

Here is the first double page spread of my fourth version of the article. And here are some of my inspirations:

I really liked the use of serif fonts for the titles with the leading reduced to squash down the text to make it more black in contrast to the white background as well as the small subheading standing proud of the body text, centered above it. I found both of these spreads on Pinterest making them difficult to attribute to an original designer.

Overall I was told that the imagery was strong, he color scheme too. However, the text felt quite stuffy and unimaginative. I knew this was true but I needed that basis from which to advance so I was happy to receive the feedback. Also that the attribution for the quote was too large. The other criticism was in the placement of the heading. I had made a point of asking about it because I felt it looked a bit too much like the cover of a murder mystery book. It was suggested that possibly I should change the placement so it was less centered and lined up with another element of the page.

Page 1&2 #5

This is my subsequent attempt. Number 5. I dropped the heading to be inline with the bottom of the body text on the opposing page. Played around with the text placement and generally applied the changes suggested. It certainly improved the piece but there’s always more to be refined.

After this point I went on a bit of a design spree and made huge sweeping changes until my one to one consultation with David. Following the universal approval of my heading for the article. I decided to use the candle metaphor as my main source of imagery. It fit with the aesthetic and all in all made for quite an elegant solution to the heading with no purpose other than to look cool.

In a following post I shall explain my further changes  the article as well as the construction of the subsequent two double page spreads and the imagery to adorn them.

Advertisements

Author: davidrothwell96hotmailcom

I am a Graphic Communication student at Cardiff Metropolitan School of Art and Design If you like any of my work, have feedback (good or bad) or would like to get in touch, please do

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s