- Trend in design to create pioneers.
- What is the first thing to place first at the forefront of a designer’s creativity?
- What will be the effect/effects of my design upon the wider world?
- Always begin at the end.
- Before attempting to work on a porject, you must understand the idea and effect of your work.
- Great push in the modern era towards sustainable design. What is sustainability and sustainable design?
Sustainability is living consistently with the way the world actually works.
Designers are very powerful and influential professionals. Your work impacts the world around you in an immediate and visible way.
Ken Garland was revolutionary when he lead the creation of the First Things First Manifesto.
‘A consumer is a deliberately manufactured term, made up to persuade a person to redefine them self and become somebody else. Consumers are those you purchase, use and replace products to generate wealth.’
Graphic Design and Communication has become a political tool, leaving a choice for those who practice it to make, regarding what they want to use their skills for.
Ken Garland believed we have to be more clear and understanding of what we are and our effects on the world. http://www.whatdesigncando.com/
‘The critical distinction drawn by the FTF manifesto was between design as communication, (giving people necessary information), compared with design persuasion, (trying to get people to do things).
What do we need to communicate to achieve our aims and broadcast the right message?
Graphic Communication is no longer rectangular, it is a visual means of communicating, using symbols that are culturally understood.
What is the most powerful means of communication for this message to have the most effect.
Graphic Design is much broader than it seems, you have responsibility to ensure your work and the messages to promote are never thrown away.