Finalising my Type Specimen Design

Our type specimen posters are due in shortly, so I made decided to take the sketches I had made up to this point and apply them to a digital piece created on Adobe suite. The brief asked for the piece to be completed using Adobe Indesign, the column system being vital for a perfectly proportioned text layout. I asked David, however and he said it would be acceptable to use a combination of different software to create the piece as long as the column system was utilised in Indesign. I therefore made use of Photoshop and Illustrator for certain aspects of my piece.

Rather than create dozens of preliminary  sketches for page layouts as most of my piers chose to do, I decided to create about half a dozen highly detailed pieces to give me a real view of what certain aspects of the design would look like on a finished piece. These can be viewed on a prior post ‘My Preliminary Poster Designs’. The advanced stages of poster design I had done on paper meant that creating numerous drafts digitally was unnecessary, for this reason, I created one piece, adding or removing design aspects as I went, depending on how they worked with others. The more valuable to the design a part was, the more it was prioritised over lesser concerns.

My first step was to create a dark bar across the page to divide it and help give me two separate  halves. It’s other purpose was to give me a base on which to apply a feature I found very pleasing to the eye in posters I had researched. This was the many examples of using negative highlight type. I combined this with angled type to create a heading that would be unique. Using a variant of the negative space idea I included a quote describing the typeface. Negative space, especially in a mixed fashion as with the heading, where it goes from white on black to black on white, can make a typeface difficult to read. I was confident, however that with the thick set, bold lines of Rockwell, this would not be an issue. The numerals ‘0-9’ were a nod to the first of my preliminary poster designs. My intention was to give the poster an appearance of multiple layers, with multiple shades marking the hierarchy of features as well as size. Based on this system I felt confident that giving my numerals minimal contrast to the background would neutralise the fact that they are larger than the title and make them secondary in the viewing order.


Author: David Rothwell

I am a Graphic Communication student at Cardiff Metropolitan School of Art and Design If you like any of my work, have feedback (good or bad) or would like to get in touch, please do

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s